Email has come a long way since Ray Tomlinson, computer engineer, sent the first email message in 1971. Given its ongoing challenges with spam, security and inbox overload, predictions regarding the death of email are popular, generally at the start of each year. However, email remains the preferred method for business communications. Here are a few interesting statistics on the state of email.
Interesting Email Stats
- There are 3.146 billion email accounts worldwide (25% of those accounts are corporate email accounts).
- Despite spam filters, 19% of emails delivered to a corporate user’s inbox are spam.
- The average corporate user sends and receives 112 messages per day. This number is decreasing due to the increase in other methods of communication such as social media and instant messaging.
- Hotmail is still hot. It is the largest free email service in the world, with 360 million users.
- In 2011, there were over 531 million wireless email users. With the continued growth in smart phone adoption and cellular network improvements, this number is expected to increase to 1.2 billion by 2015.
- 71% of the worldwide email traffic is spam. Wow.
[notice]Don’t forget to Subscribe to our newsletter to receive additional tips and resources. The newsletter provides a roundup of the business technology resources that we feel are new, cool or useful. Also, feel free to follow us on Facebook, Twitter or RSS![/notice]